Prof. Dr. Ferdousi Begum working as a faculty and guiding students In research in biotechnology and genetic engineering and equipping the student for higher education in the newly established Farzeen Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Research Laboratory in my own fund.
Execution of Organizational Activities, Policy Making, Execution of Decisions, Negotiation with the Policy Makers, Development of Project Proposal, Project Formulation, Proposal Writing, Implementation, Management & Evaluation, Consensus Building, Exchange of Information and Ideas, Negotiation with Donors and other Stake-holders, Raising Funds on Socio-economic aspects of Biodiversity Conservation, Motivation, Communication and Promotion of Different Biodiversity and Environmental Issues, Climate Change, Consultancy on Environment, Biotechnology, Agriculture and S &T Sector. At the moment also involve with potato & vegetable fruit export from Bangladesh to different countries for some the farmer is given fare price.
Ph.D. in Plant Genetic Engineering
Molecular and Cellular Genetics Division,
Bose Institute, University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India.
Master of Science (M. Sc.)
Dept. of Botany, University of Dhaka
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Botany
Dept. of Botany, University of Dhaka
HSC (Science, Biology)
Central Women’s College
SSC (Science, Biology)
Sher-E Bangla Balika Mahabidyalaya, Dhaka.
- Trainer of Leader in different Agriculture Sector (ISESCO, Value add & export potato, vegetable, flower etc.)
- Lecture & validation of potato & other agriculture crop.
- International UNFCCC Climate Change Talks negotiator who can best raised the issues with laws mentioning scientific explanation.
- Mainly responsible for the Biotechnological work in DEBTEC Laboratory (Tissue Culture of Orchid, Banana, Potato and Medicinal Plant. Consultancy on SICT and Environment and Biotechnology management.
- Community participation to protect the natural resources for sustainable development.
- Motivation and educating the people, on Intellectual Property Right (IPR), Patent Law and Benefit Sharing.
- Involvement of local communities, particularly rural women for plantation, Biodiversity conservation and development of women entrepreneurship.
- Conservation for threatened species of plants through in vitro, ex situ and in situ conservation including Medicinal & Aromatic Plants.
- To ensure primary health care through traditional knowledge using medicinal plants.
- Advocacy on Intellectual Property Right (IPR) through Patent Law.
- Environment and Biotechnology particularly developing Biosafety regulation in the country.
- Conservation of medicinal plants through backyard home garden.
- Documentation of indigenous knowledge.
- Conservation of biodiversity.
- “Halima – Sarfuddin Science Writer Award 1411-1412” of Bangla Academy for the book on Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology Golpo “Ami Keno Baba Maer Mato” (Why do I look like my father and mother) 6th November 2006
- Fellowship of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) for Ph.D. Research Program, Govt. of India, 1991 to 1995.
- Merit Scholarship for Honors result awarded by University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1985.
- UNDP/UNITAR/KIWC Training Series on Biodiversity “Biodiversity and Climate Change” Kushiro, Japan, 29 June-4 July 2008. (UNITAR: United Nations Institute for Training and Research. KIWC: Kushiro International Wetland Center, Japan)
- Value Chain Development Training from December 17th to 22nd ,2007 at Dehradun, Nepal organized by International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD).
- Regional Workshop on “Mainstreaming Gender in Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Programmes” from December 10th to 12th ,2007, Kathmandu,Nepal organized by ICIMOD-International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
- Training on writing for change at Nepal, 17 to 23 May 2001 conducted by International Development Research Centre IDRC-Canada.
- Training course on DNA based marker technologies for molecular taxonomy studies from January 31-February 11, 2000 sponsored by Dept. of Biotechnology, Govt. of India, organized by TATA Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Regional Training on Environmental Biotechnology for Asian countries from 29th November to 10th December 1999, sponsored by UNESCO organized by National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI), Nagpur, India.
- Regional Training and Workshop on Herbarium Techniques and Plant Database Management for Asian Countries from 8th to 17th September 1999 Organized by UNESCO-NISCOM, New Delhi, India.
- Special training on Tissue Culture, Dept. of Horticulture, Faculty to Agricultural, Ksetsart University, Thailand, 20-25 July 1998.
- Gathered experience by working with the farmers of Thailand, Udom Orchid 1997 and 1998.
- Gained experience on Rapid Multiplication of Orchids by Clonal Propagation and also by Tissue Culture Method. Gathered experience on Banana Tissue Culture and adaptation of Tissue Culture Plant from lab to land. (It was my M. Sc. thesis work, 1986).
CONFERENCE/ TRAINING ATTENDED/ PAPER PRESENTATION:
- Participation and signing Expression of Interest (EOI) in 7th MP EXPORTECH 2015 at Gwalior, India from 16th to 18th January, 2015.
- Trainer on Women Leaders in the Field of Post Harvest Technology of Agriculture Product. Jointly Organized by: BNCU & ISESCO, Regional Training Workshop at BNCU Conference Hall, Dhaka from 29-31 December 2014.
- Attended the 1st China South Asia Expo & the 8th China-South Asia Business Forum on June 5-10, 2013 in Kunming, China.
- Plenary lecture on Impact of Climate Change in Bangladesh: Cyclone, Flood, drought. UNITAR training workshop on Biodiversity and Climate Change at Kushiro, Japan from June 29-July 5, 2008.
- Group Presentation and Evidence to Actions: Re-orientation of project intervention towards climate change vulnerability in the Gulf of Mannar Biosphere Reserve. Ferdousi Begoum – Bangladesh, Julius Ibukun Agboola – Nigeria, Julius Ibukun , Agboola – Nigeria, Wilfredo Uy – Philippines, B.V.R. Punyawardena – Sri Lanka, Bansok Ros – Cambodia, K. Sivakumar – India (Data provider), David Coates – Canada (Resource person) Project proposal presented during the UNITAR training workshop on Biodiversity and Climate Change at Kushiro, Japan from June 29-July 5,
- Plenary lecture on Impact of Climate Change: SIDR in 14th Oxford Conference (9th OIBC Spring Symposium, jointly with the Royal Institution, on “Mitigating the Impact of Climate Change by Low Cost Technology”) organized by Magdalen College, OIBC–Oxford International Biomedical Center, 31st March- 2nd April, 2008 Oxford, UK.
- Poster presentation on “Present Status of Biotechnology Research in DEBTEC” on the Bio Thailand 2005 Biotechnology: Challenges in the 21st Century conference on 2-5 November 2005 at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, Bangkok organized by The National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC) and the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Presented paper on “Documentation of Indigenous knowledge as Medicinal Plants for Primary health care of Rural Woman” as a Guest Speaker & Chairmen of the Ethno botany session and Member of the International Advisory Committee of the 1st International Conference on “Women Health & Asian Traditional (WHAT)” Medicine which was held between 23-25 August 2005, in Malaysia, organized by the of Malaysia and Oxford University.
- Presented paper “On Medicinal Plants: Ecology & Economy of Rural Life In Bangladesh” in the Third Biennial Conference of the United States Society for Ecological Economics on 20th to 23rd 2005 – July at Tacoma, WA.
- Present paper on ‘Social & Gender Mainstreaming of Medicinal Plants for Improving Rural Livelihoods in Bangladesh’ in the ‘Workshop for Sharing Wise Practices in Quality Production and Sustainable Management Of Medicinal Aromatic Plants In South Asia’, in 20-21 April 2005, in New Delhi, India, organized by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada and Tata Energy Research Institute (TERI), New Delhi, India.
- Presented Paper in the workshop of ‘Raising Funds and Mobilizing Resources for MAPs Workshop: Resource Mobilization for the IDRC-MAPPA Partners’, April 22-23, 2005 in New Delhi, India.
- Present paper and chaired the technical session in the 11th Oxford Conference on Bio-medicine In Developing Countries (Biomedicine in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and Latin America) on April, 2015 organized by OIBC–Oxford International Biomedical Center.
- Presented paper on ‘Conservation Of Biodiversity And Documentation Of Indigenous Knowledge: An Overview Of Bangladesh’ in The Eminent Scientist Symposium, 23-26 March 2005, in the Ministerial Conference on Environmental Development (MCED) meeting, organized by UNDP, in Soel, South Korea.
- Invited Lecturer, for ‘Biodiversity and Documentation of Indigenous Knowledge and Access to Benefit Sharing”, 18-19 March 2005, Institute of Business Administration, University of Konan, Kobe, Japan.
- Present paper and chaired the technical session in the 10th Oxford Conference on Bio-medicine In Developing Countries (Biomedicine in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and Latin America)- organized by OIBC–Oxford International Biomedical Center, 28 March-1 April, 2004 Oxford, UK.
- 3rd IUCN World Conservation Congress, Bangkok, Thailand, 17-25 November 2004
- 9th Oxford Conference on Bio-medicine In Developing Countries (Biomedicine in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and Latin America)- organized by OIBC–Oxford International Biomedical Center, March 2003
- International Conference on Medicinal Plants & Herbs, 24-26 March 2004. Delhi, India, organized by OXFAM, GB and IDRC, Canada
- International Seminar 2003 on Religious Harmony and Democracy in Bangladesh, 28th September 2003, Dhaka Club, New York, USA
- 56th Annual DPI/NGO Conference: Human Security and Dignity: Fulfilling the Promise of the United Nations, 4-10 September 2003, New York, USA.
- The Global Biodiversity Forum (GBF) for South Asia: 3rd Regional Session, Osmani Memorial Hall, Dhaka. 15 June 2003.
- Attended Meeting Dialogue Workshop on GEF Global Environmental Facilities, Organized by UNDP. Ministry of Environment and Forest, World Bank 16-18 April 2002 in Dhaka.
- Paper presented on Wise Practices and Experimental Learning in the Conservation and Management of Himalayan Medicinal Plants. Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Program in Asia (MAPPA), IDRC, Canada. WWF-UNESCO People and Plants Initiative Kathmandu.15-20 December 2002, Nepal.
- Paper Presented on Present Status of Medicinal Plants in Bangladesh: A Case Study, in the SAARC Workshop on Identification, Propagation & Conservation of Medicinal Plants on 16-19 June 2002 in BRAC Center, organized by Ministry of Science & Information & Communication Technology & SAARC Countries.
- Paper presented on Conservation of Medicinal Plants 7th Eurasia Conference on Chemical Sciences. 7th-12th March 2002. Organized by HEJ International Research Institute, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Paper presented “Country Report on Status of Medicinal Plants in Bangladesh & Documentation of Indigenous knowledge in the 8th Oxford International Biomedicine Centre meeting Gene to Ginseng on 9th –11th April 2002 organized by Oxford International Biomedicine Centre, St George Hospital. UK.
- Consultation Meeting of IDRC- International Development Research Centre towards Sustainable Development Environment & IT Sector. 4th –8th March 2002 in Delhi.
- Paper presented on Commercialization’s of Orchids through Tissue Culture. Organized by 2nd Workshop on Tissue Culture of Economic Plants, Dhaka, Bangladesh held on 3rd to 7th October 1999. S & T Centre of the Non-aligned and Other Developing Countries, Asia and Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of Bangladesh.
- Regional Workshop on Sharing Local and National Experience in Conservation of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants in South Asia, January 21-23, 2001 at Pokhra, Nepal. Paper and poster presented on Medicinal Plant Conservation through community participation.
- 10th Asian Symposium on Medicinal Plants, Spices and Other Natural Products (ASOMPS X) 18-23 November 2000 in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Paper Presented: Conservation of Medicinal Plants through Backyard Home Garden.
- 6th Oxford Conference on Bio-medicine In Developing Countries (Biomedicine in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and Latin America)- organized by OIBC–Oxford International Biomedical Center 9 to 13 April 2000 at Magdalen College School, Oxford & Westwood Country Hotel, Oxford.
- Plenary lecture on “Ex- situ conservation of Medicinal Plants through Backyard Home Garden for Primary Health Care” in International Conference on Ethno-medicine and Drug Discovery, November 3-5, 1999. Holiday Inn, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA organized by Bio-resource Development and Conservation Program University of Marry Land.
- 2nd Workshop on Tissue Culture of Economic Plants, Dhaka, Bangladesh held on 3rd to 7th October 1999. S & T Center of the Non-aligned and Other Developing Countries, Asia and Pacific Center for Transfer of Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of Bangladesh.
- Paper presented on Women in science Bangladesh, World Conference on Science for the 21st century a new commitment held in Budapest, Hungary from 26th June to 1st July 1999, UNESCO in collaboration with ICSU.
- South & South Asian Co-operation on benefit sharing and access to the Genetic Resources. 22nd–24th February 1998 Chennai, India Sponsored by IUCN.
- Paper Presented on Medicinal Plant of Bangladesh, International Conference on Medicinal Plants. 16th–19th February 1998, Bangalore, India.
- ISESCO-COMSTECH Regional Seminar on Conservation of Biodiversity, 20th-22nd August 1996, University of Brunei Darussalam, Bandar Seri Begawan. Conservation of Biodiversity, Country Report of Bangladesh. Chairman, 4th Working Session supported by ASESCO.
- Paper presented on In-vitro Conservation of Medicinal plant, South Asian Conference on Medicinal Plants. 9th-12th November 1997. Chairman, 5th Technical Session, Bihar, India.
- Paper Presented on Somatic Hybrids through Protoplast Fusion between Brassica juncea and Diplotaxis harra, and their backcross progenies, Second Asia Pacific Conference on Plant Cell and Tissue Culture, 28th July –1st August 1996, Beijing, China.
- Paper Presented on Banana Tissue Culture, International Plant Tissue Culture Conference, December 19-21, 1993, Department of Botany University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Platinum Jubilee Year (1917-1992) of Bose Institute, Calcutta, India.
- Paper Presented on “Biodiversity: Climate Change - Government of Bangladesh” Organized by: Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon (BAPA) Date: Friday, January 2, 2009,Venue: ICMAB auditorium, Dhaka
- Present Key note Paper on Climate Change and Youth Engagement on June, 2007.
- At National Consultation Workshop on Youth Engagement in Climate Change Issue, Organized by: National Federation of Youth organization in Bangladesh, Venue: Women Voluntary Association, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Collaboration with: DEBTEC, Dhakabashi Organization, Save the Youth Forum, Hunger Free World. Green Voice, SHAKKHOR & CGIY. Supported By: SAYEEN, UNEP.
- Paper presented on Global Scenario and Status of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants in Bangladesh, 6th March 2008.Organized by Medicinal Plants and Herbal Products Business Promotion Council, Ministry of Commerce.
- Paper presented in the National Defense Collage on “Biotechnology: Global Scenario and Prospect for Bangladesh” on 18th July 2007.
- Paper presented in the “Asia Regional Program of Training on Disaster Management”, on Climate Change, June 23-july 05 2007,at IUBAT-International University of Business Agriculture and T
- Paper presented in the Divisional Training Workshop on Biosafety, “Research and Development of Biotechnology in Bangladesh”, 14th June, at Rajshahi. Organized by Department of environment, under the Ministry of Environment and Forest.
- Paper presented in the Training Workshop on Risk Assessment and Risk Management of GMO’s, 23-24th Organized by Depertment of Environment, under the Ministry of Environment and Forest.
- Key note speaker – Potential of Herbal Medicine Export from Bangladesh March 16th 2006, Organized by Export Promotion Bureau, Ministry of Commerce, Govt. of Bangladesh.
- Paper presented in the National Workshop on Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety Issues & Concern A regional public hearing workshop on GMOs, February 12th 2006 Organized by IUCN Bangladesh, IPSU, MOEF & DANIDA.
- Paper presented in the National Workshop for Tree fair and Plantation Movement, June 2004, ‘Importance of the documentation of Indigenous Knowledge and Bio-prospecting, organized by Ministry of MoEF, Government of Bangladesh.
- Symposium on Traditional Medicine. 19th to 23rd October 1997, Bangladesh Drug Administration, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Bangladesh
- Paper presented on Present status of Use and Processing of Medicinal Plants- Problem and Prospect. Organized by Drug Administration, Ministry of Family and Welfare, Govt. of Bangladesh. Member of the organizing committee. Play a role key note speaker in a particular session. 6-7 July 2003.
- Attended Inception workshop on ‘Coastal and Wetland Biodiversity Management at Cox’s Bazar and Hakaluki Haor Project (CWBMP)’, Organized by Department of Environment, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Govt. of Bangladesh. 21 June 2003.
- Trainer and Speaker of officials ‘Coastal and Wetland Biodiversity Management at Cox’s Bazar and Hakaluki Haor Project (CWBMP)’, Organized by Department of Environment, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Govt. of Bangladesh, held in Sept 2004.
- Paper presented on “Sasthe O’ Sundarja Paricharjai Veshoj Udvid” organized by Department of Forest, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Govt. of Bangladesh. IDB Bhaban 8th June 2003.
- Regional Workshop on Protecting Farmers' Rights: Issues and Options. 2nd February 2003. Organized by Bangladesh Environmental Lawyers association (BELA) in collaboration with SAWTEE with support form Ministry of Environment &Forest, UNDP and Ford Foundation
- Paper presented on Present and Future Scenario of Medicinal plants in Bangladesh. International Botanical Conference, 12-14 January 2003. Organized by Bangladesh Botanical Society.
- Paper presented on Status of Biotechnological Research and Development in DEBTEC, National Workshop on Assessment of Utilization and Potential of Biotechnological Advancement for Agriculture Development in Bangladesh, 19-20th January 2003. Organized by Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council.
- Paper presented on Present Status of Medicinal Plants in Bangladesh: A Case Study in the Seminar on Health and Medicinal Plants on 22nd June 2002, in IDB Bhaban organized by Ministry of Environment & Forest, Govt. of Bangladesh.
- Delivered lecture in BARI as “Resource Person” on Commercial Production of Orchid in Bangladesh organized by Hortex Foundation, Bangladesh in June 2000.
- Key Note Speaker: “Medicinal Plants for life” Seminar organized by DEBTEC & Hamdard Laboratories (WAQF) Bangladesh on the 29th of August 1998 in the National Press Club VIP Lounge.
- Paper Presented on Conservation of Herbs, their quality Control & Production through Modern technology: Symposium on Traditional Medicine. 19th to 23rd October 1997, Bangladesh Drug Administration.
- Paper presented on Social Mobilization on Medicinal Plants and Integrated approach: National Workshop on Traditional Medicine, 8th August to 23rd August 1996. Organized by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- National Conference on Traditional Medicine and Upgrade the National Curriculum organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 29th July-31st July 1997.
- Key Note Speaker: The Role of Biotechnology in Bangladesh Agriculture, 4th July 1996, Bangladesh Center for Advanced Studies, Bangladesh.
- Invited Lecture: Genetic Manipulation of Oil Yielding crops Institute of Post Graduate Studies in Agriculture (IPSA) Gazipur, Dhaka, Bangladesh, and 1st July 1996.
- Popular Lecture: Role of Genetic Engineering in Development of Agriculture. National Science and Technology Museum of Bangladesh, 10th January 1996.
- Second International Tissue Culture Conference, 1995 Dec. 10-12, Department of Botany, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Annual Conference of Bangladesh Association of Plant Tissue Culture held in 19th March 1995. Paper presented on hybrids between Brassica Juncea (L.) Czen and Diplotaxis harra (Forsk) Boiss and the generation of Backcross progenies.
- Biotechnological Conference 1987, Dept. of Botany, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Annual Conference of Botanical Society of Bangladesh, Dept. of Botany, University of Dhaka. Paper presented on Rapid Clonal Propagation of Banana and Plantain in Bangladesh through shoot tip Culture, December 1986.